Thursday, November 29, 2012

A bittersweet goodbye.

I was in class today and while we were supposed to be preparing and reviewing for our finals next week my mind was wandering. I got to thinking of all the stuff that has been going on and will be going on in the next couple of months and the years to come. One thing in particular kept coming to mind though.

About two weeks ago, my uncle, who was basically like my dad growing up passed away. He died  due to complications brought on by his stage 4 cancer. Although he did pass away very abruptly, my family and I didn't take it as harshly as we expected. This is not to say he wont be missed and mourned greatly, but I feel we had all braced our selves for what we knew would come one day.

When my uncle was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer, almost 3 years ago, he did not stop for one second. My uncle, who was given six months to a year of life did not once let negativity take over. In fact from the beginning he was nothing but a ball of positivity. As the doctors prescribed medications and other treatments to attend to his condition he not once complained. That was something I very much admired about him.

My uncle  was one of those people who would eat ANYTHING and he always accompanied his meal with a cold Old Style. After his diagnosis the doctors suggested that he not drink alcohol and gave him a strict dietary regimen. He would many times joke around with me and tell me that not eating everything he wanted was the hardest thing for him. 


I remember one particular time when I had gone over to his house to ensure he was being taken care of while my aunt was at work. We were both eating at the kitchen table, him in his customary side of the table and I on the only other side with no clutter. I do not remember how the conversation got started but as he was munching away at his food he gazed at me very seriously, and not knowing what he was thinking  I gave him a frantic look. After a moment he realized I was intensely confused and becoming a bit panicked, so he began talking. Again, I don't remember his exact words but what he said to me next was just the funniest thing. He started off by telling me how worried he was, but about what I didn't know. He then continued speaking, drawing it out as long as he could with out telling me exactly what he was talking about. The things he was saying sounded very awful and sad. He spoke about families ending up on the street and people losing their jobs. Honestly, I had no idea where this conversation was going and for the life of me couldn't even remember how it began. Finally,after what felt like an eternity, but was probably only about five minutes, he told me the reason of his worries! He paused for a second. Looked at me with a face full of grief that slowly turned in to the biggest grin I had ever seen on his face. "La  Compania de Cerveza voz," (the beer company you)was what he said between the uncontrollable laughter. I was almost on the verge of tears and here he was telling me that he was worried the beer companies were going to go under because he couldn't have his beer with his meal. He was pulling a prank on me! So typical of my uncle, always joking. All I could say  between my laughter and embarrassment was "Ay tio,usted con sus chistes y yo aqui casi llorando," (oh wow unc, you and your jokes, making me almost cry). After that we both just continued laughing, him bragging about how he got me, and me still shocked that he did get me so well. It was a great moment we both shared.One of the many!

Reminiscing about the good times is a nice change of pace from the immediate grief caused by the situation. Moving on will really be a hard thing to do because of the impact he had on me personally and in the lives of other people. He was a great man, and knowing he left in peace does bring about a sense of happiness.I know that where ever he is, he is in a better place and that I am thankful for.

Love you tio.
XOXOXO


No comments:

Post a Comment